- STARTING PAY RATE: $12.50/hour
- JOB TYPE: Part-time Hourly
- POSITION START DATE: May 2019
Under the supervision of the Sailing Program Assistant, Sailing Instructors will teach sailing to students of all ages with varying levels of experience.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide an outstanding, safe, and educational experience to students on land and on the water
- Explain and demonstrate proper sailing and/or windsurfing techniques
- Supervise and ensure the safety of students
- Monitor changing weather and water traffic conditions and make appropriate decisions to ensure safety of students, MBAC staff, and other water users
- Maintain attendance records
- Inspect equipment before and after class and clean equipment after use
- Other duties as assigned
Customer Service and Collaboration
- Provides excellent customer service
- Establishes and maintains working relationships with various A.S. and University departments
- Ensures all operations are conducted with safety of staff and customers as first priority, and in accordance with the Injury and Illness Prevention Plan and other safety policies
- Adheres to Associated Students’ Code of Safe Practices
- Reports accidents to supervisor and reviews changes required to avoid reoccurrence Ensures completion proper documentation is completed for each accident (employee and/or non-employee) and forwards to supervisor
- Reports maintenance problems and/or broken and unsafe equipment to the appropriate party immediately
Minimum & Preferred Requirements
- High School Diploma
- Gender Awareness must be completed within first 30 days of hire
- Minimum two years sailing or windsurfing experience
- Extensive technical knowledge of sailing and/or windsurfing
- Some prior teaching experience is preferred
License & Certification Requirements
- Red Cross Waterfront Lifeguarding (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- NASBLA approved powerboat certification (must be obtained within the first month of employment)
- FBI, DOJ, and LiveScan fingerprint clearance
- Current valid Driver’s License
- Must prioritize the safety of MBAC participants and staff as well as other water users
- Must be available to work during the summer months
- Continually work toward improving technical skills and teaching abilities
- Capable of maintaining positive working relationships with other staff and customers
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision and as a team player
- Able to interact effectively with a wide diversity of people and support San Diego State University Associated Students’ values and mission
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must possess excellent customer service skills
- Must have excellent sailing skills (or excellent understanding of skills)
- Must be able to follow oral and written directions and follow projects through to completion
- Powerboat driving experience preferred
- Must have good interpersonal skills and a desire to help others improve their sailing abilities
- Boat trailering experience preferred
Schedule and Working Conditions
This is a part-time position. Flexibility and willingness to work long hours including weekends with high demand during summer.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will involve exposure to salt water, cold water, sun, wind, rain, weather, sand, seaweed, sea grass, ocean currents, sea creatures, breaking waves, and other outdoor elements.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical requirements include but are not limited to: swimming, swimming in rough and deep water, walking, running, walking or running over rough or uneven surfaces, bending, stooping, lifting, pushing, pulling, and carrying loads. Must be able to swim at least 550 yards, dive at least 10 feet deep, swim with a 10 pound object for at least 20 yards, and tread water for at least 2 minutes. Must be able to watch and supervise groups of students in the ocean and/or bay while coaching technique and supervising safety. Must be able to recognize and respond to emergencies and prevent injuries or drowning.
How to Apply
To apply for this job you must apply online on the Aocaited Students website using the link below.
A background check (including a criminal records check) may be required for this position and must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with Associated Students of SDSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current A.S. employees who apply for the position.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Associated Students is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion (to include religious dress practice and religious grooming practice), color, sex (to include breastfeeding or medical conditions related to breastfeed-ing), age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, pregnancy, medical condition, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or any other protected group. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.